Roofing is made to be durable. That’s why it can last last 15 to 20 years. Why wait for roof damage when a few easy steps can ensure your roof is weather ready.
Weather Related Roof Damage
While no roof is indestructible, weather is a common cause of damage. Different weather brings differing roof damage.
- Wind: Strong winds can tear asphalt shingles off a roof or split metal roofing sheets apart from one another. During severe weather, it’s not uncommon to see shingles flying down neighborhood streets.
- Rain: Water is incredibly adept at finding its way inside your home through cracks and crevices, loosening shingles along the way. . Once inside, rain makes wood damp, which could lead to mold growth.
- Hail: Hail can easily cause the largest amount of roof damage. Pelting hail can knock granules off asphalt shingles and even dent metal roofing. A damaged roof is a weakened roof, putting your home at risk.
Pre-empt Roof Damage
Preparation is your best defense against roof damage. By addressing minor problems now, you can easily head off major repairs later.
- Walk around your home looking for loose or missing shingles. Look for damaged shingles in need of repair.
- Look for points of weakness in your roof such as bent or unattached flashing. This is a common source of water damage.
- Clear out gutter debris to prevent overflow. Remember to also check the soffit and fascia for weak points.
- Look for tree branches that could potentially fall on the roof. Trim or remove them.
- Check your attic for signs of water damage, dampness, or mold.
If you find any missing, loose or damaged shingles, or even water intrusion, now is the time to arrange for our roofing HomeShow Pros at Ideal Roofing perform repairs before another storm hits.
Three added ways to prevent roof damage
- Trim Your Foliage: Trim back foliage around your home before winds turn them into projectiles. While trimming, be sure to remove dead branches or anything overhanging your home’s roof.
- Clean Your Gutters: Make sure your gutters are ready to direct rainwater off of your roof and away from your home. Clear your gutters of debris that could cause clogs. A clogged gutter can easily cause roof damage as water backs up and seeps under your roofing. Better yet, contact Gutter Professionals of Houston for covers that will keep you gutters clear.
- Call A Pro: Climbing a ladder onto your roof may seem easy, but it’s really work best left to a professional. Not only is it safer for you, but a pro can catch potential problems your untrained eye might miss.
What if roof damage happens anyway?
While these steps help make your roof storm-ready, there’s no guarantee against damage. The key is to act quickld. Should you experience roof damage, secure your home to prevent further water intrusion and contact the HomeShow Pros for roofing at Ideal Roofing.