It’s the largest moving object in your home: the garage door. Whether yours needs replacement because it’s started giving you trouble, or you want an easy upgrade, garage door replacement brings amazing return on investment.
Garage Door Replacement pays
Fact is, a garage door replacement is one of the top five updates for return on investment. Remodeling Magazine’s 2016 Cost vs. Value report lists a 91.5 return on investment at resale.
Why? Street-facing garage doors make up a large part to your home’s curb appeal. Beyond that, a new garage door is more reliable and provides added protection for the contents of your garage.
Is this a Do It Yourself project?
Because garage door replacement requires professional experience, it’s wise to trust The Overhead Door Company of Houston to handle the project. Not only is there heavy lifting, but electrical work, assembly, and set-up of the operator as well. The most dangerous part of the job is winding the spring that eases the task of lifting your garage door.
Choose your door
Every house has its own character. Choose a door that enhances its look while preserving your investment. Your choice of a new garage door breaks down into three categories:
- Aluminum garage door: Rust-resistant aluminum is ideal for our humid climate.
- Steel garage door: Steel doors offer the broadest range of color, insulation, and price options.
- Wood garage door: Custom made means just that: choose your wood, finish and hardware. The Overhead Door Company of Houston combines the look of wood with an underlying metal door structure for reliability, giving you the best of both worlds.
Choose your opener
Selecting a door is half the job of garage door replacement. You also have to choose an operator, also known as a garage door opener. Factors to include:
- Sound: If you have a living space above or next to a garage, it’s wise to choose a belt or direct give model.
- Remote reliability: Select a dual-frequency opener that reduces signal interference by switching between two frequencies.
- Rolling Code: By selecting a new code from billions of possibilities, burglars are left guessing at your operator’s code.
- Keypad: An added option, having a keypad on your door means you can open it without the remote opener.
Keep your door safe
You really don’t have a choice. As of 1993 Federal law dictates that your door meet safety standards. A properly installed operator auto-reverses when any obstacle blocks its path. Infrared sensors installed near the bottom of your door shoot an invisible beam across the opening. If anything breaks the beam by crossing it, your door automatically reverses. When you consider that your door weighs up to 600 pounds, this is one corner you don’t want to cut.
Make a wise investment
When choosing a quality garage door, like those offered by The Overhead Door Company of Houston, remember that you’re making an investment in your home. Choose a look, choose an operator and get it installed correctly by trusting a professional installer to handle all the details. That way all you have to worry about is choosing a style, color and options that fit your home and budget.