Fruit trees are money-saving additions to your landscaping. You don’t just get fruit, you get it fresher than any store can offer. But, getting that fruit means taking important steps to grow and feed your trees. RCW Nurseries‘ Mary Cummings explains how to plant, feed, protect, and harvest your fruit trees.
Start your fruit trees right
- Location, location, location: Plant where your fruit trees will receive at least six hours of sun a day during the growing season.
- Fruit trees love sun: Sun should not be blocked by buildings, fences or other obstacles.
- Plant with roots in mind: Plant at least three feet from sidewalks and driveways and six feet away from buildings, as roots will spread wider than the tree crown.
- Give them space: Allow ten to fifteen feet of space between fruit trees.
- Be on the ball: Make sure the top of the root ball is exposed.